Launched in the US market in 2019, the small benchtop Ionic Purification System enables the automated extraction of nucleic acids with dramatically increased yield and quality from a wide range of sample types, including cultured or sorted cells and formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded (FFPE) tissues. Biological samples are gently lysed and then loaded into the Ionic® Fluidics Chip. The system then applies an electrical field to the chip and the nucleic acids are isolated in their natural, native form using the company’s core isotachophoresis (ITP) technology. Since the nucleic acids are not bound or stripped from fixed surfaces, nucleic acid loss and fragmentation are minimized while purification-induced bias is eliminated. The simplified workflow requires minimal hands-on time and produces higher yields of high-quality RNA and DNA that are truly representative of the starting sample.
“Over the past year, we have seen increasing interest in our innovative Ionic Purification System from around the world, especially in the UK and European Union,” said Barney Saunders, PhD, CEO of Purigen Biosystems. “I’m proud that our team was able to quickly shift priorities to secure the appropriate regulatory approvals, which has enabled us to expand our commercial operations. Today, we are now able to empower more clinical researchers in Europe with the ability to maximize the utility of their precious samples.”
Ionic Purification System Components
The complete Ionic Purification system includes the following components:
- The Ionic® Purification Instrument – A small benchtop system driven by a simple touchscreen interface that can process one Ionic® fluidic chip with eight samples in approximately one hour.
- Ionic® FFPE to Pure DNA Kit – Consists of six chips and a reagent set with all necessary enzymes and buffers to perform DNA extraction directly from as many as 48 FFPE tissue samples.
- Ionic® FFPE to Pure RNA Kit – Consists of six chips and a reagent set with all necessary enzymes and buffers to perform RNA extraction directly from as many as 48 FFPE tissue samples.
- Ionic® FFPE Complete Purification Kit – Consists of 12 chips and a reagent set with all necessary enzymes and buffers to perform simultaneous DNA and RNA extraction from 48 samples.
- Ionic® Cells to Pure DNA Kit – Consists of six chips and a reagent set with all necessary enzymes and buffers to perform cell lysis and DNA extraction from cultured or sorted cells in up to 48 samples.
About Purigen Biosystems
Purigen Biosystems is redefining nucleic acid sample preparation with an innovative platform based on the highly efficient isotachophoresis technology invented by Juan Santiago, PhD, and his team at Stanford University. Purigen’s automated benchtop instrumentation and accompanying microfluidic chip purify nucleic acid samples from a wide variety of sources, including minute or otherwise challenging cancer samples. The purified nucleic acids are then immediately compatible with a wide range of downstream detection methods, including next-generation sequencing, PCR, and other genomic tests. For more information, visit www.purigenbio.com.
Ionic is a registered trademark of Purigen Biosystems, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. All products described herein are intended FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY and NOT FOR USE IN DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES.